You've probably thought it but have been too afraid to ask. So let me go ahead and clarify:
- Yes, our tag line does say "he's a writer. she's an entrepreneur."
- And yes, I HAVE been starting my own business!
I'm finally ready to share a little bit of that business with you all. But first, a little back story...
A few years ago, when we were living in Wilmington, NC, I decided I wanted to give this whole owning my own business thing a shot. It's always been a dream of mine, but I had a little trouble figuring out exactly what I wanted to do. When I finally distilled down my personal hobbies, interests, and skills I landed on something simple: tableware.
I know, I know. It's an odd thing to comprehend given that most entrepreneurs today are starting tech companies and building apps. But that's not for me. I love entertaining and having guests over. And I also love making mealtime an experience. Plus, as I've already written on my own website's blog, I have a deep connection to the dinner table. An excerpt:
When I think about my childhood, I was always destined to love the dinner table. Setting the table was one of my first "chores" growing up. My family always ate supper at the table; no excuses or skips. And the big to-do during the holidays? Decorating an appropriately-themed table for Easter and Thanksgiving and pulling out the Christmas dishes at the holidays. Simply put: a perfectly set table is as comforting to me as hot chocolate on a cold day.
On April 1, I started an online retail shop called Tabled. We specialize in packaging serveware, barware and linens -- aka tabletop accessories -- for the extra special occasions in life. I spent the first three months on the road handpicking all the artists and makers I'd be working with on my debut collection. I'm proud that each of the artists contributing their handmade goods to Tabled are spread across the U.S.A. and their products are as unique as they are.
Still curious? Here's a bit more about Tabled.
WE BELIEVE THE ART OF MAKING EVERY DAY SPECIAL STARTS AT THE TABLE.
The average person will sit at the table more than 30,000 times. So when you think about it, what we eat, who we’re with, and where we’re sitting matters. Tabled makes meal time a little more meaningful (and easy). We carefully package tabletop accessories for any occasion — a birthday, anniversary, dinner for two, a Saturday in July — and ship them to your doorstep. All you have to do is open, set, eat and enjoy.
A FEW WORDS TO DESCRIBE TABLED:
- EASY-GOING: We make setting the perfect table a cinch. We design the (table) setting so you can focus on the food and the company.
- ENTERTAINING: Breakfast, lunch and dinner aren’t just meals. They’re excuses to sit together at the table and share good food and good times. Think of Tabled as the mood music to your next dinner party.
- JOYFUL: Our accessories are simple, but they’ve got soul. Getting together should be fun, and that’s at the heart of everything we do.
- FRESH: Think of us as the farm-to-table, except with accessories. We work with local makers across the country to hand-pick the freshest designs and styles.
- TASTEFUL: We believe food tastes better when the table is set for a special occasion. And our handpicked wares add flavor to the everyday.
- GENEROUS: We set every table with care, and you should, too. That’s why every product in our store is handmade by an artist here in the U.S.A. and hand selected by us to make your tabletop feel extra special.
So, there you have it. I've been starting a small online retail business. It's called Tabled. And you can shop our debut collection or learn more about the business at ShopTabled.com. Stay tuned for more Tabled updates to come!